St. James's - On Our Doorstep
St. James's Palace:
A fine example of brick-built Tudor architecture. It takes its name from a leper hospital dedicated to St. James the Less which stood here from the 12th century. St James's Palace became the official residence of the Monarch in 1699 until it gave place to Buckingham Palace; foreign ambassadors are still accredited to the "court of St James's".
Located just across Green Park, on our doorstep, Buckingham Palace has served as the official London residence of Britain's sovereigns since 1837 and today is the administrative headquarters of the Monarch.
Horse Guards Building:
Located on Whitehall near Downing Street and St. James Park, the Horse Guards Building is the home of the Queen's Household Cavalry Regiment. There is a daily "Changing of the Guards" ceremony at 11:00 am (Mon-Sat) 10:00 am (Sun).
The House was built in 1711 for the Duchess of Marlborough using only red bricks from Holland. In 1817 it came to the Crown and after being tenanted by various members of the royal family, it was, in 1852, provided by Queen Victoria to house a school of design. Marlborough House became the residence of the Prince of Wales (King Edward VII), and afterwards of Queen Alexandra. It is now the residence of the Commonwealth Secretariat.
The house was designed for the 1st Earl Spencer by John Vardy in 1756. After 1927 it was rented to a number of tenants, but was leased in 1985 to the Rothschild Company which restored the house for £18 million. From its conception, Spencer House was recognised as one of the most ambitious aristocratic town houses ever built in London and is, today, the city's only great eighteenth-century private palace to survive intact.
St James's Church:
The Church was built in 1674-86 by Christopher Wren for his friend Henry Jermyn. At the Restoration Jermyn had obtained permission from the King to develop the area known as St James's Fields. This new parish church was a rare instance in London when Wren worked on a new site. It has a lime wood altar and a marble font, both carved by Grin ling Gibbons. The spire was added in 1686, but rebuilt in 1699-1700 and replaced with a fibreglass replica in 1968. The church had to be restored after bomb damage at which time the churchyard became a garden of remembrance. It now provides a location for a market Wed - Sat 10-6 (antiques & collectables on Tuesday 8-6).
St James's Street:
Berry Bros & Rudd: Britain’s oldest wine and spirit merchant, having traded from the same shop for over 300 years and still family run. A plaque in a nearby courtyard marks the site of the Texas Legation maintained there from 1836 to 1845.
James Lock: Founded in 1676, Lock & Co. is a family owned business providing ladies’ and gentlemen’s quality headwear and a high standard of personal service. Following the film release of “Sex and the City”, Lock’s have received an unprecedented demand for their hat boxes. Inspired by this, they have created a special edition luxurious leather box handbag "The Carrie” which was modelled on their famous white hat box.
John Lobb: The current Lobb premises at number 9 St James’s Street is on the very spot once occupied by Lord Byron's bachelor establishment. Lobb shoes have become a synonym for quality and elegance. In contrast to the factory-made article, a pair of Lobb’s handmade shoes is a work of art, unique to their owner. They are created by the teamwork of a number of specialized craftsmen, all of whom have served long apprenticeships to acquire their particular skills.
Dunhill: Since 1893 Dunhill has made bespoke products on the request of customers to completely meet their needs. Dunhill caters to the needs of the discerning gentleman, from formal and casual menswear, to handcrafted leather goods through to jewellery, fragrance and timepieces.
Truefitt and Hill: Throughout its entire history, Truefitt & Hill have been involved in the production of hairdressing, shampoos, perfumes, and colognes. A haircut, a shave with hot towels and a manicure at Truefitt & Hill leaves a gentleman ready to face the world knowing that he has been well and truly groomed for the occasion, whatever it may be, by one of England's hairdressing aristocracy.
D.R. Harris & Co: As one of London’s oldest pharmacies, they have been in St James’s Street for over 200 years. The interior is very traditional in the style of a Victorian apothecary. This family-owned business holds the warrant to HRH The Prince of Wales. They are renowned for their range of quality products for men and women. These include soaps, colognes, bath and shaving preparations, skin care and aromatherapy oils. The majority of their products are still produced by traditional methods, being hand-made and hand packaged on their premises.
Fox of St. James’s: purveyors of fine specialist cigars to European Royal, and other distinguished customers, (including Winston Chrchill) for over 200 years.
Paxton & Whitfield: This famous little cheese shop has been established in St James's for over 200 years and in their present premises in Jermyn Street for over 100 years. They offer fine cheeses from around the world, especially France and the United Kingdom, and they are also suppliers to the hotel (click here to see our cheese and wine master class)
Turnbull and Asser:
Ever since opening their doors in 1885 Turnbull & Asser have been renowned as a centre of excellent taste in menswear. Best known for their shirts and ties, they have dressed royalty, world leaders, stars of the entertainment world, captains of industry and customers who appreciate a unique product made to the highest standards of quality.
Every Thomas Pink shirt is an exercise in perfection. All shirts have been crafted to the same exacting standards, keeping alive the impeccable heritage of London’s Jermyn Street, home of traditional British shirt-making. Each shirt is constructed from the finest-quality two-fold cotton, immaculately cut and finished.
A selection of sophisticated and unique evening, day and wedding wear. Offering an eclectic mix of styles and shapes, Favourbrook gives a modern twist to traditional tailoring. The menswear collection is drawn from a modern approach to three hundred years of elegant British dress while keeping very firmly in touch with the present. Favourbrook is also for the discerning modern woman of any age who appreciates both quality and originality.
Fortnum and Mason:
For three centuries Fortnum's has been committed to bringing the world's best products to Piccadilly – often from continents away. Fresh food, though, has always come from as close to these Isles as possible. Fortnum and Mason offers a cornucopia of food and drink, gifts and luxuries. Whilst the Food Hall does offer the widest range of luxurious products, the rest of the store is often overlooked by visitors
St. James's Park: The park is bounded by Buckingham Palace to the west, The Mall and St. James's Palace to the North, Horse Guards to the east, and Birdcage Walk to the south. It has a small lake, St. James's Park Lake, with two islands, West Island, and Duck Island, which is named for the lake's collection of waterfowl. This includes a resident colony of pelicans, which has been a feature of the park since the first gift of the birds from a Russian ambassador in 1664. A bridge across the lake affords a view of Buckingham Palace framed by trees and fountains, and a view of the main building of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, similarly framed, to the east.
Green Park: The park consists entirely of mature trees and the only flowers are naturalized narcissus. It is bounded on the south by Constitution Hill, on the east by the pedestrian Queen's Walk, and on the north by Piccadilly. It meets St. James's Park at Queen's Gardens with the Victoria Memorial at its centre, opposite the entrance to Buckingham Palace. To the south is the ceremonial avenue of The Mall, and the buildings of St James's Palace and Clarence House overlook the park to the east. Green Park tube station is a major interchange located on Piccadilly, Victoria and Jubilee lines near the north end of Queen's Walk.