Press

For press enquiries or images, please contact:

Ms. Nirali Thakrar, Sales and Marketing Coordinator

telephone: +44 20 7316 1650
e-mail: marketing@stjameshotelandclub.com
Twitter: @StJamesHotel
Twitter: @SevenParkPlace

PR Agency: Roche Communications
telephone: +44 20 7436 1111
Twitter: @rochecom

Ms Rochelle Cohen
e-mail: rochelle@rochecom.com

Ms Lottie Dutton
e-mail: lottie@rochecom.com

Ms Laura Hadfiled
e-mail: laura@rochecom.com

Club Element

Club Element

The original St. James’s Club was formed in 1857 by Earl Granville, a former Foreign Secretary, and Marchese d’Azeglio, a Sardinian Minister, after a few false starts a small house in Albermarle Street became the club premises.  The first membership list contained 300 names and the membership fee was six guineas (£6.30p). Two years later a new clubhouse was opened in St. James’s Street and the club boasted several aristocratic members including Lord Randolph Churchill and Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild.   As the club expanded, the premises became too small and moved again to 106 Piccadilly.  In 1899 there were 650 members and the membership fee had increased to 11 guineas with an entrance fee of 25 guineas. Winston Churchill followed in his father’s footsteps and became a regular visitor in the 1930s and during the 2nd World War the Club became the home of Ian Fleming, creator of James Bond.  Backgammon was an especially popular pastime in the club and large sums of money were won and lost however, over the years the membership fees did not keep up with inflation and sadly, in 1975, financial difficulties led to the merger of the St. James’s Club with Brook’s.   

In 1981 Peter de Savary, in partnership with Sir Michael Caine and Sean Connery, resurrected the St. James’s Club by opening a private members club in Park Place.  Other St. James’s Clubs followed in Paris and Los Angeles and the three continued as a group until they were sold in 1987.  In 1990 the then owners added a hotel element to the Club and this continues to operate to the present day. The current owners took over in 2005 and in 2006 closed the St. James’s Hotel and Club for a multi million pound redesign.  The property reopened in the summer of 2008 as part of the Althoff Hotel Collection.

Famous Members/Visitors
Winston Churchill, Orson Wells, Sir John Mills, Jerry Hall, Marie Helvin, Sir Michael Caine, Christopher Plummer, Liza Minnelli, Dudley Moore, Gregory Peck, Roger Moore, Anthony Andrews, Sir Tim Rice, Lord Attenborough, Tina Turner, Al Pacino, Pete Townshend, David Suchet, Sir Michael Parkinson.

Joining Fee £ 250,00 plus VAT
Annual Fee £ 400,00 plus VAT
 
Membership of the St. James’s Club means:

• Preferential room rates
• VIP status
• 10% reduction on all restaurant and bar bills, including our Michelin-starred restaurant Seven Park Place by William Drabble
• 10% reduction on all hotel packages
• 25% reduction on meeting and event room hire
• VIP status in our reciprocal clubs all over the world

CONTACT:
Pam  Carter, Club Secretary
pam@stjameshotelandclub.com



View All News